Author Topic: Greenlit!  (Read 8688 times)

bla~

• View Profile
Greenlit!
« on: October 30, 2013, 12:47:33 am »

Browncoat

• Still flying
    • View Profile
Re: Greenlit!
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 02:11:10 pm »
Great news!  :)

I'd be curious for any details on plans for the release on steam.

Will there be achievements or trading cards?
Personally I don't deem them relevant but they sure help sales.

Will there be steam keys for owners of the Jets'n'Guns/Gold, or a discount?

Is there a timeline for a release, this year, next year, when there are resources.
Or is it more the likes of: Timeline? We're still rubbing our eyes, trying to believe it! :D

I'm happy for Jets'n'Guns coming to steam and I'm happy for you guys and hope
you'll get a little more of the appreciation for a great game, that you deserve.

Cheers!

undead

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 07:16:02 pm »
Will there be achievements or trading cards?

Yep.

Will there be steam keys for owners of the Jets'n'Guns/Gold, or a discount?

Unfortunately, no. We are selling the game through various sites, so our data on customers is very limited. Also there's no link between that data and the Steam accounts (assuming Valve even let us access the list of buyers in their system). There's no way to say, who deserves the discount or key. Sorry.

Is there a timeline for a release, this year, next year, when there are resources.
The release date is ASAP. Hopefully this year. We don't want to fiddle with the game much. Just achievements, solve some issues with the controller input, probably resolve somehow upscale to higher resolutions, and we are considering linux version. We can improve other things later if there is enough interest in the game.

And yeah, we're still rubbing our eyes, trying to believe it! :D

Ghidoriah

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 05:24:19 pm »
Made an account just to be able to follow and reply to this thread! (If there will be any updates.)

Of course I could just buy the game from some other website, but now that its possible to get it on Steam, I'll be able to install the same copy on other desk- or laptops with ease! :D

Anyhow, I know for sure that people, including me, would love to hear how long its going to take before the game will be launched on Steam! So if there are any updates any time soon, please let us know! Its so hard waiting for a game that you want to play... :(

On a side note, J'nG is in my opinion the most awesome side scrolling game ever! :D Props to you guys for having made it, having the awesome soundtracks from one of my favorite band is just icing on the cake!

lyravega

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 01:33:00 pm »
The awesome soundtrack, great visuals, gameplay, the number of ship upgrades, etc... all made JnG a masterpiece back then. It still is one of the best games in my opinion.

undead

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 10:51:03 pm »
Hey, thanks! I put together quick short article with some basic info about the upcoming release here: RiG's blog. I try to be more disciplined and post some info about the progress during the next few weeks.

bla~

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 12:37:35 am »
For the upscaling you mentioned in the blog post, you might want to consider using the recently developed xBR algorithm to upscale the pixel art and then render at the native resolution. The algorithm is EXTREMELY powerful for upscaling pixel art. You can find more information on it here: http://board.byuu.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2248

But note that the first post is outdated, there is a LOT of new/better stuff on the last few pages of the thread!

Alternatively, you could render at 800x600 and use xBR as a shader (as which it was originally developed) to do the upscaling. This was very successfully done in this HD remake of Simon the Sorcerer: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mojotouch.simon
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 12:43:18 am by bla~ »

undead

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 01:31:33 am »
Our main problem is much simpler than that, namely what to do with the game's aspect ratio of 4:3 on 16:9 screens. We can either cut top and bottom stripe (but that would affect gameplay and also is quite difficult to do because of the weird way the game HUD is created) or stretch the game to fit the screen (but that would deform the visuals) or leave black stripes on both sides (not ideal either).

bla~

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2013, 12:47:18 pm »
Replace the black borders with art, ala Super GameBoy? I dunno. :(

Browncoat

• Still flying
    • View Profile
Steam Trading Cards
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2013, 09:25:32 pm »
Super Gameboy, wow, that takes me back.  :)

I'm glad you'll be adding Achievements and Trading Cards. Even though they seem
like something purely cosmetic to some, they aren't to be underestimated as a
selling factor. Many hunter-gatherers out there. And I can only imagine that
some come for this stuff and stay for what the gem they found, even telling
others, spreading the word about an overlooked treasure.

EuPhobos

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2014, 02:17:47 pm »
Congratulations! You did it! =)