Author Topic: Jets'n'Guns 2  (Read 77391 times)

traum

• View Profile
Re: Jets'n'Guns 2
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2013, 08:04:09 pm »
Dear developers,
For me is very important that the Jets-n-Guns 2 project will be completed. Perhaps it is actual to force the development trough introducing pre-order now? As for me, I am ready to grant  the necessary pre-order sum.

In the forum was the question:
Or should we play it safe with 2D and invest more effort into gameplay instead of looks?

Your game is nice through the gameplay itself and small bonuses after completing missions. And not thank to top graphics. Good is that Jets-n-Guns game does not include the vulgar scoring system. In other words scoring can be defined as only interest to score as many unnecessary points. Such games people load usually once: once played, at once sick of it, stopped playing, game deleted. Your game version stirs interest through unexpected solution: ducklings, space hitchhikers, unexpected bosses (the image of the fat programmer for example), funny sentences in the game (for example: we guarantee you an easy death). All this inspires to new game sessions, to usage of a new set of weapons, to finding all secrets, finally to trying to find out how to hack all the fire-breathing ships.

I am very grateful to you for the euphoria moments I get playing the original game and its addition.

Best regards, Igor.

HammerHand

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2013, 06:03:18 pm »
Hey RiG, been a while since I've posted! (old forums) Checking back every so often to see how Rampage Knights is coming along and hopefully to see something on JnG2 and I'm quite surprised to see your response to the steam greenlight, I'm shocked that the game received such a negative response. I've been playing shooters since Raiden, Raptor, and many others I can't remember the names of and JnG is easily the best one I've ever played. Quite a bit of content and the difficulty (at least for the first playthrough on hard) was appreciated, not to mention the amazing soundtrack from a great band. I would love to see a kickstarter if you guys feel its something you can commit to after RK is finished. Personally in a 'shmup' I could care less about graphics, an update to what JnG is now would certainly be welcome just as long as it has the same addictive and fun gameplay that was present in the first game. The way I see it, if the graphics are too flashy and shiny it detracts from the gameplay of a shmup because there's too much going on, save that for bullet hell games. Of course people these days are hell bent on games that look better and better so maybe I'm just starting to get old? Anyways, best of luck with RK and hope to see JnG2 sometime in the near future :)

miter

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2013, 08:53:01 pm »
I think, JnG 2 would do fine without revolutions like 3D. The graphics style is very nice in JnG 1. Just add more stuff: more weapons, more enemies, more ships, more levels, and I will buy it in a heartbeat.

traum

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2013, 06:53:56 pm »
Dear developers,
I have a proposal to start the storyline JG2 using the end of the original game.
Your idea to draw comics is perfect for any scenario changes. That is, if you end up in the original game with shot from the quantum cannon, and everything returns back in the past, so in the new game I propose to start with comics which schematic depicts the JG1 end, but the quantum shot leads to the fact that our character having got to the past destroys Xoxx before it fires. And now other enemies with the same quantum guns terrorize the universe, threat and really destroy star systems.
The game start begins with the fact that our character retreats bravely with a huge number of refugees. In the background are to see shots that kill thousands of ships and burn through the planets.
And Xoxx as boss can always be returned to the script as a criminal, whom clones himself.
I propose to make a level which will be fully monochrome, black and white or gray. As if the gamer occurs in a parallel world and he needs to get out from there in the usual color world. I know this is plagiarism from Ninja Turtles cartoons. But nothing bothers to use this form, and for the second the idea is not commonplace.
You can offer the gamer a good opportunity in the first level to command ship (as in the NFSpeed game) to destroy Xoxx. And then our character occurs in the bar and global evacuation after one of quantum shots begins.
I propose to put into one of the levels a scenario that the ship time to time is subjected by energy attack from the tor satellites, and screen shows numbers left for the new shot and estimated area for the shot. This shot has to damage all enemy ground and air targets. And the character needs to get away from the shot somewhere to the side, because it comes to overheating and destruction of the sip hull.
P.S. I volunteer to do the dirty work of the transformation of existing ready-made textures to black and white. The only thing I never did such work but principally I am willing to help with it.

boovie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2013, 04:55:33 pm »
P.S. I volunteer to do the dirty work of the transformation of existing ready-made textures to black and white. The only thing I never did such work but principally I am willing to help with it.
Thanks for the offer but that is not necessary. Even in 2D, the game would be using shaders for screen effects and tone mapping to greyscale can be easily done without modifying any textures.

traum

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2013, 03:24:28 am »
Let not quite in the topic. I want to make a beta tester.

Gernsback

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2013, 01:55:09 pm »
Guys,

I've been a long-time supporter for the JnG series, and let me just say this:
Go for 2D. You did a supreme job first time around, don't go for 3d, it's just not worth the effort IMO.
Go for kickstarter. I don't know how much money you'll need for the full development of JnG2, but you can bet my hundred buck will be yours.

Better yet. I'm willing to offer my help in localising the game, into Russian. You've got fans here in Russia, and I would love to make all those jokes JnG is famous for (both big and small) understandable (and funny) to Russian players.

Yes, if you ever geat around to making the game, you can hold me true to my word by mentioning this post :)

Killerhurtz

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2013, 11:45:47 am »
Am I the only one here that wishes for a 3D game set in the Jets'n'Guns universe?

Seriously, it could be very awesome. Either with a pure Starfox-like gameplay (Oh how I would love to see the Atomic Emu in this setting...), or more with a Galaga: Destination Earth gameplay, which featured a tri-gameplay experience: side-scrolling, top-down scrolling, and Starfox-like, for gameplay versatility (it could be pretty awesome: top-down bombing run of a level similar to the zombie carnival? Defeating the general (don't remember his name) in hyperspace in a Starfox-like perspective? These are only examples of what it would be if the story was the same - the universe has so many stories to tell...)

As for the plot, maybe there could be something like "The quantum cannon from the first game, in one of the temporal loops, misfires, causing a rip into a negative universe which brings forth another invader"?

AnEyee

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2013, 11:25:21 am »
Well said, Killerhurtz. Of course no about the 3D, but IMO 2D suits more for such games than 3D.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 11:27:25 am by AnEyee »

Browncoat

• Still flying
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2013, 02:26:10 pm »
Jets'n'Guns was always special for me. It didn't feel like a run-of-the-mill shoot
em up. There were many shoot em ups I played, even enjoyed, but mostly
they were forgettable.

Jets'n'Guns has the right feel, atmosphere, gameplay and love for detail.
It reminded of classics like R-Type, X-Out or even Tiger Mission. And it
doesn't take itself too serious, some games try, but I think Jets'n'Guns
did excel in this.

If there's a vision for a Jets'n'Guns 2 inside RakeinGrass, I'd be happy
if it'll see the light of the day.  :)

p.s.:
And I'm definitely for 2d. Beautiful 2d graphics can make your game
timeless, whereas 3d graphics often don't age very well. There are
2d games from the 90s, that are still surprisingly fresh looking and
there 3d games from mid 2000 that will almost physically hurt.  :)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 07:04:18 am by Browncoat »

lyravega

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2013, 01:35:39 pm »
Wish I could get my "Ideas for JnG2" topic from the old forum :) Nvm, actually I found the old link: http://forum.rakeingrass.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2636

About the engine, I'm in for 2,5D. As long as ship models can blend in with the 2D stuff, that is. Compared to 2D animation, 3D would require very less amount of workhours to accomplish.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 01:38:37 pm by lyravega »

Axxym

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2013, 02:26:11 pm »
Hey guys,

I really liked the JnG1 a lot. I think it has the good old feeling as weel as good modern gameplay. I would welcome development od JnG2!

I would like to add some reflections:

1) 100% for 2D. 3D would kill the mood, would be harder to develop, etc. Bottomline: it is not necessary. Games like Minecraft shows that the graphics and effects are only minor aspects compared to good game concept and gameplay.

2) the game (especially the Gold edition) was quite hard from beginning but get easier later in the game after reaching some nifty weapons. I would suggest balancing that.

3) the game does not much use the possibility for re-playing the story. Gameplay is fact paced and immersible, but (at least for me) the "WOW" effect diminished after several hours. I would recommend implementing some RPG aspects which would let you to create different strategies and, at the same time, the possibility to play the game again and again with novel experience. For instance classes of the pilots with different abilities to fly the plane or to use class-only items, or alternative story line (e.g. 5 different endings due to steps made throughout the game).

4) I think you did job well done with environment - there are different worlds, different enemies, it is creative and overall good. I wouldn't change that.

The most successful games out there now are those that combine different genres, usually with RPG aspects because people love creating their heroes, leveling them, equpping them, etc.   

The market is filled with fancy 3D games for 50 bucks that provide some 10-15 hours of fun but I always prefer to play the old classics (with waaay to outdated looks but unbeatable gameplay) like Civilization 2, Transport Tycoon, Age of Empire 2, etc. Diablo 3 even made me to install the Diablo 2, because I think that Blizzard guys really missed some very enjoyable aspect that were in the old one and now they are gone...

Skip ideas of improving looks of (possible) JnG2. It is bad invested effort as people would appreciate most a good and elaborate gameplay. Beside that, people usually do not like changes. If they love the game, they welcome new levels, new achievements, new items and collectibles, but mayor changes (e.g. 2D->3D) which significantly influence gameplay will always be controversial, leading the community to split into two.

If there would be the JnG2 at least as good as JnG1, you have my 50 bucks on your account.

Cheers,
Josef, Brno (CZE)

undead

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2013, 03:14:18 pm »
Hey, thanks for input. You are right about the balance, that's the tricky part we didn't completely nail to put it nicely. And I'm actually shocked anyone paid attention to the crazy filler story :).

Axxym

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2013, 03:31:08 pm »
Well, actually, I didn't paid attention to the story  ;D

What I meant by "re-playing the story" was generally the ability to play the game again, enjoying the fun, but not in exactly the same manner.

Browncoat

• Still flying
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2013, 09:26:45 pm »
The story was plain hilarious and I found an unexpected satisfaction for my B-Movie urge. :D