As you probably noticed Jets’n'Guns has been accepted on Steam. Here is some quick info on the subject.
The release is planned on January 2014. The main bulk of work should be done this year, but we wanted some extra time for testing and unexpected mishaps. Also there’s no point to rush things and charge into Steam’s Xmas release mayhem. I believe we will send all the versions of the updated game to Valve this year. We have no idea how long will it take afterwards before Valve evaluates the game and releases it.
Expect a price between $7 and $10. I understand that many of the potential buyers are people, who bought the game already in the past and I hate that we are going to charge again for just a possibility to play on Steam, but it would be too much work to get Steam keys to everybody, who bought the game. We don’t even have access to all the data from all the servers the game is on.
We will try to release the game with some massive discount for the first few days to give you chance to get it for symbolic price. No promises. I’ve no idea, how much control we may have over pricing and sales on Steam. But we will try.
We plan to give the game a quick facelift with following changes:
- We will add 20-25 achievements.
- We will add 6 Steam trading cards and badges.
- We will update controller input with improved options menu (no more fiddling with config file hopefully). However the controller support stays only partial – you can play the game with controller, but menus require mouse.
- The Mac and Linux versions will be ready.
- We are considering some form of upscale of resolution. JnG is an old game running in 800×600, so we try to do something with it, but any solution has its pros and cons, so this is still not decided yet.
More info coming soon.